Sunday, September 4, 2011

La Dolce Vegan Challenge - Gerry’s Artichoke Heart and Basil Pasta

Ok folks, here we are at day 3 4 (thanks Raven! whoops!) of Vegan Culinary Institute's cook-through of La Dolce Vegan challenge.

So here's my funny story about going to the grocery store. I looked over the recipe for today and realized that I'd have to go out and pick up a few things. One of the things I was missing was the 6oz jar of marinated artichoke hearts.

I head up to the closest place. The first location in which I find artichokes in the store is in the canned vegetable section. They had canned un-marinated artichokes, and then they had "Rosa" brand marinated chokes. I see the 12 oz jar on the top shelf and sitting next to it is what I assume is the 6oz jar, but there's no label for me to confirm. NONE of the jars in that size had a label. I thought this odd, but chalked it up in my mind to a manufacturing defect and perhaps an oblivious stock clerk. In an effort to avoid a difficult time at checkout, I decide to see if I can find a jar elsewhere.

Further on down the same aisle I come across the "italian" section. Again, top shelf I find jars of "Cento" artichoke hearts in the 6oz and 12 oz size and AGAIN, no label on the 6oz!

I don't know what possessed me to grab one of the unlabeled 6oz jars...


But that's when I noticed this...


Hahaha! I am an IDIOT.

(I went back and got the Rosa ones since they were 20 cents cheaper. Yes, I am a cheapskate.)

Anyways, I traipsed around the store and gathered up my remaining missing ingredients. (I actually showered, dressed and made it out of the house today...aren't you impressed?)


The pine nuts, the tomato and the garlic came from the store. The fresh basil came right out of my herb garden! (Yay!) I felt pretty confident that the tomato I chose qualified as "large".

So everything got sauteed up in a little bit of olive oil.


And tossed up with some pasta.



And voila! Dinner is served.


More dark dinner photos...sorry. Hunger often trumps artistic display around here.

Don't forget some fancy-pants eye-talian agua for good measure.


Ciao bellas! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Miranda! The pasta salad is actually day 4! You are missing the No Salt Shaker. But the pasta looks good.

    ReplyDelete