Thursday, September 1, 2011

La Dolce Vegan Challenge - Day 1

Just as I decided that I would venture into the wild world of serious and committed blogging, I ran across Vegan Culinary Institute's cook-through "La Dolce Vegan" challenge via Krys of Two Vegan Boys. I have never cooked through an entire cookbook before, but it is definitely something I'd like to try.  Today's challenge, the first, is to make "Wolffie's Banana Blueberry Muffins" for which, thankfully, all of the ingredients are already in my cupboards.

Once I actually started measuring out and combining I found I was a little light on ground ginger, so I just dumped in the remainder of the jar. It appeared to be less than the prescribed 1 tsp., but I wasn't too worried about that.

My bananas probably didn't qualify as "large", but I was afraid if I used two that it would be too much.

Always trying to put a healthy spin on things, I opted for the "White Whole Wheat" flour from Trader Joe's.

Aw, look at this cute little group of ingredients, huddled together.
As you'll note in the photo, I opted to use coconut oil for the "oil". You can get it much cheaper if you buy it at an indian/asian market, as opposed to a health food store.

Here's what I used as "milk".



Can't forget the sugar, although I did cut it back to a little more than 1/4 cup, as Raven at VCI suggested.

Slap it all together, and after 20 minutes in a 375 degree oven you get...muffins!


I had to make mine mini, because my full-sized muffin pan is a little rustified, and I was out of liners (and too lazy not properly dressed to go out and buy some).

Verdict: pretty darned tasty! The hubs and I enjoyed them warm out of the oven, spread with a little whipped Earth Balance.

Thanks Raven for organizing this challenge! I look forward to the rest of the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment